Please note that Wendover Woods is currently in a transition phase due to visitor improvements. You may find that some of this information is out of date. A new statement will be prepared as part of the development of the site. For current information please contact us on 01296 696184.
Wendover Woods is located on Haddington Hill, the highest point of the Chilterns near the towns of Aston Clinton and Wendover. It offers a variety of walks and routes and several viewpoints taking in the surrounding areas.
The main site facilities are located on the summit of the hill, including parking facilities, accessible toilets, Cafe in the Wood, Go Ape, a small play park, picnic/barbeque areas. There are a variety of other trails leading into the woods however due to the nature of the site these have rough terrain in areas and/or steep inclines.
We look forward to welcoming you. If you have any queries or require any assistance please phone 01296 696184.
- Wendover Woods can be accessed by vehicle every day of the year except Christmas Day. The main gates are open from 8am. Locking times vary throughout the year.
- The nearest train station is located in Wendover.
- The nearest bus stop to Wendover Woods is on the B4009 Upper Icknield Way. This is on the 50 Bus route from Aylesbury which runs Mon-Sat and restricted service on a Sunday. Service 161 (Sundays and Bank Hols) travels along the B4009. Wendover Woods can be accessed on foot throughout the year at several points around the perimeter. Due to the nature of the site many of the access points lead to rough terrain and/or steep inclines.
- Dogs are welcome on site except in the children's play area, but we ask owners to consider keeping them on leads at all times in the central area and around the café. Dog drinking bowls are available at the café in the Woods.
- For large print or alternative language versions of our site leaflet please email the diversity team - firstname.lastname@example.org.
Car Parking Facilities and Arrival
- The main car park is located near to the café in the Woods and the accessible toilets, and has spaces for 120 cars. The stony surface of the car park can be uneven in places, however there are no steep slopes or steps in order to access any of the nearby facilities.
- Parking charges apply to all cars. There are dedicated parking bays located in the main parking area, please purchase a parking ticket from one of the Pay & Display machines.
- At times we may be required to close the forest drive to vehicles due to bad weather or essential maintenance. Please see our website homepage for up to date information or follow on-site information.
Wendover Woods has a variety of walking and cycling trails available. We have three main trails, the Firecrest Trail, the Hilltop Trail and the Family Cycle Trail. We also have a fitness course, orienteering course and a network of permissive bridleways on the site.
The Hilltop Trail is easily accessible from the main car park and is approximately 1km/0.6miles long. It is mostly flat and has a good surface suitable for pushchairs and wheelchairs. It has a log lined tapping rail and takes in one of the best views from Wendover Woods.
The Firecrest Trail is 4.5km/2.8 miles long and consists of surfaced tracks and un-surfaced woodland paths. This trail is a great way to explore the different habitats within Wendover Woods but has some steep inclines and several areas of rough ground. It also passes our wildlife hide, which is located approximately 700 metres from the start of the trail. Benches are located approximately every 400 to 900 metres.
The Family Cycle Trail is 13.3km/8 miles long and consists of well surfaced trails, although some areas can be muddy. The trail features several steep climbs and descents. Cycle stands are also available near the Café in the Woods.
Our wildlife hide is located just off the Firescrest Trail, approximately 0.8km from the main car park. It can be access via a shallow wooden ramp, with an anti slip surface. Seating inside is in the form of fixed benches.
Toilet facilities are located next to the Café in the Woods. There is an accessible toilet which also features baby changing facilities.
During busy periods, weekends and bank holidays additional toilet facilities are open. These are located in the green portacabin behind the main toilet block. This also includes an additional accessible toilet.
Refreshments are available on site from the Cafe in the Woods.
All visitors are asked to take home any rubbish that they bring onto site, as there are no disposal facilities available.
Education Centre / Classrooms
A classroom is available for hire by groups. It is located at the main Forest Office on Upper Icknield way.
Tables and chairs can be arranged as required, and the classroom can be accessed via a ramp and features a power assisted door and accessible toilet.
For details on how to book the classroom please contact the Forest Office on 0300 067 4160 (Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings) or email@example.com
Areas suitable for picnics are available throughout Wendover Woods, and a dedicated picnic area is located next to the Free Barbeque area. This is a grassy area a short walk (approximately 200m) from the car park and has two wooden benches. Tables are available in the Free Barbeque Area.
Please note barbeques are only permitted in the Free Barbeque Area and disposable/instant barbeques are not permitted within Wendover Woods.
Again, all visitors are asked to take home any rubbish that they bring onto site.
Planning permission has been approved for the redevelopment of the main facilities at Wendover Woods. This will include the expansion of the Café in the Woods, new toilet facilities and a small visitor centre/ranger base.