The feeling of a head torch trail run in the woods is unique. The night-time adds a whole new dimension to trail running: it is both wild and peaceful at the same time.
Your senses become razor sharp and you become aware of your heartbeat pounding in your chest. You may hear the hoot or screech of an owl, or the rustling of woodland animals in the undergrowth. In the darkness of the woodland canopy the light from your head torch will be reflected back by the eyes of deer and other creatures peering out from the safety of the deep forest.
Our Moon Runner head torch races take place in the winter months when a crisp ground frost is common. Beams of moonlight breaking through the trees can create a magical atmosphere while you run along the sparkling surface. You can experience a definite sense of isolation and remoteness, but with that come feelings of exhilaration as your feet react to changing terrain, and excitement as your senses adapt to the different sights and sounds in the darkness.
The route will be fully waymarked, and is ideal for trail novices and experienced runners alike.
Venue:Whinlatter Forest is England’s only true mountain forest. Set within the Lake District and home to stunning views, fantastic walks and trail running, exhilarating mountain biking, rare wildlife and adventure play.
Route and Terrain Conditions: a very hilly 10k route on a mixture of hard packed gravel tracks, single twisting dirt tracks and occasional muddy bridleway all contained within the Forest.
- There will be a race HQ with toilets.
- There are spaces for approx. 200 cars; therefore participants are encouraged to car share when possible (covid restrictions allowing)
- There will be medical support from Rapid Reaction NE Ltd who will be on the course throughout the event.
- Water/food and fruit available at the start and finish area.
Weather: At this time of year it is not unusual for the temperature to fall below freezing therefore we suggest bringing with you a hat, gloves and warm jacket so that you can enjoy your cuppa and some food from the cafe.
We are an eco-friendly company and, on that basis, we don’t use disposable plastic cups and don’t offer T shirts or medals. What we do guarantee is a first class race experience where you can make memories to last a lifetime! We are actively encouraging participants to give something back to the environment which is why your race goodies are a little bit different. We are including a packet of mixed wild flower seeds for you to plant which will encourage bees and other pollinators to visit your garden which is great for the environment.
Your entry and what’s included:
- A Branded event Mug
- Free, downloadable event pictures.
- a packet of wildflower seeds.
- Cash prizes for the top 3 male and top 3 female finishers
- Head torch prizes from Ledlenser, Run Unlimited, Fit Performance and Sports Injury Clinic and Vaga
- Free future race places for all category winners