An all new Enchanted Christmas event at Westonbirt Arboretum
With Christmas only 105 days away, Forestry England have today announced that their Enchanted Christmas event will be returning to Westonbirt, The National Arboretum, and this year will be taking on a brand new twist!
Voted the number one Christmas light display in the country in 2018 in a survey carried out by McCarthy and Stone, this magical Christmas experience takes visitors on a night-time trail through the trees. As they wind their way along the path, visitors will find themselves transported into an enchanted forest, surrounded by twinkling lights and sparkling illuminations.
At the heart of the event will be the stunning illuminated trail through the woods. This year the Arboretum will be working with new partner SXS Events to create an all-new trail, new light displays and a new ‘Enchanted’ theme for 2019.
Paul Cody, Head of Visitor Attraction at Westonbirt Arboretum, said:
‘The idea behind the trail this year is that Christmas fairies have been up to mischief in the Arboretum, casting spells and transforming Westonbirt into an Enchanted Forest! Magical creatures, brought to life by the fairies’ enchantments, will wander the trail, as well as Father Christmas dressed in traditional green.’
At the entrance to the trail will be the Christmas Village, where visitors can enjoy a packed programme of activities for the whole family, such as having a go at family arts and crafts, listening to Christmas choirs and bands perform seasonal favourites, or warming up with a mug of mulled wine and festive food.
Hannah Ward, Recreation Manager at Westonbirt, The National Arboretum said:
‘This is the new and improved Enchanted Christmas – we were keen this year to try some new displays and new technologies, whilst keeping the unique woodland and family feel of the event. SXS have provided some new and exciting ideas for the trail, that we think visitors will love. We don’t want to give too much away just yet, but some ideas include a ‘Liquid Sky’ over a part of the trail, created by smoke and lasers, magical characters to meet, and even talking trees! This is Enchanted Christmas… but as you’ve never seen it before!’
Due to popular demand tickets are available through advance booking only, and can be booked by visiting www.forestryengland.uk/westonbirt/enchanted-christmas or calling the box office on 03000 680 400
This year the event will run on the following dates:
• 29 November to 1 December 2019
• 6 December to 8 December
• 13 December to 15 December
• 20 December to 22 December
Notes to Editor
1. Westonbirt, The National Arboretum is managed by Forestry England and is renowned worldwide for its tree and shrub collection. Home to five national collections, the arboretum covers 243 hectares (600 acres) and contains nearly 15,000 labelled specimens. Visitor numbers are 500,000 a year, with a membership of over 32,000. Westonbirt Arboretum was established in the 1850s by wealthy landowner Robert Holford and later developed by his son George Holford. Unlike many arboretums, Westonbirt is laid out according to aesthetic appeal rather than scientific or geographical criteria. Visit https://www.forestryengland.uk/westonbirt
2. Forestry England manages and cares for the nation’s 1,500 woods and forests, with over 230 million visits per year. As England’s largest land manager, we shape landscapes and are enhancing forests for people to enjoy, wildlife to flourish and businesses to grow. For more information visit forestryengland.uk. Forestry England is an agency of the Forestry Commission.