Join Zog on his magical forest adventure
Following the success of the Gruffalo, Stick Man and Highway Rat trails at Forestry Commission sites across England, Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler’s magical children’s picture book, Zog, will be the new activity trail for families to enjoy in the nation’s forests this winter. Launching on 11 January 2019, the trails will follow the premiere of the animated special from Magic Light Pictures, on BBC One this Christmas.
Zog is a loveable, if somewhat clumsy dragon at Dragon School who is always striving to win a golden star. Zog is learning lots of essential dragon skills at school including flying, roaring, breathing fire and capturing princesses! Forestry Commission England are now inviting children to step into the forest classroom to learn lessons just like Zog, including how animals fly, what sounds they make and how they catch their prey!
As well as winning gold stars along the self-led trail, there will be reveal panels which have a hidden image that children can find using a coloured lens in their activity pack. Available to buy for just £3 the activity pack will also include a Zog mask, activity sheets a pencil and stickers.
Alice Mayne, Head of Recreation said:
“The trails will be an amazing adventure, encouraging visitors to make the most of the winter season and beyond in our beautiful forests.
“We are very excited to be working with Magic Light Pictures again and are looking forward to families having a new and exciting reason to visit the forest this winter.”
Further details of trails and free downloadable activity sheets are available from www.forestryengland.uk/zog
Notes to Editor
- The Forestry Commission is the government department responsible in England for protecting, expanding and promoting the sustainable management of woods and forests and increasing their value to society and the environment. Further information can be found at www.forestry.gov.uk/england
England's Woods and Forests are cared for by Forest Enterprise England, an agency of the Forestry Commission http://www.forestry.gov.uk/englandsforests
- About Magic Light Pictures
Magic Light Pictures is an award winning brand-building company with a strong background in production, creating rich and imaginative experiences for families worldwide.
The company, founded in 2003, directly manages production, licensing, global distribution and marketing. Magic Light’s key brand is The Gruffalo, from the best-selling picture books by author Julia Donaldson and illustrator Axel Scheffler. Magic Light produced the Oscar and BAFTA-nominated half-hour animated films, The Gruffalo and The Gruffalo’s Child, and has sold them to over 180 broadcasters worldwide. Magic Light also runs a cross-category international merchandising programme for The Gruffalo brand, with over 40 licensees and 350 products that capture the charm of the original books. Magic Light also produced Room on the Broom, Stick Man and The Highway Rat films – which have proved to be award winning half-hour classics that are as loved as The Gruffalo.
In 2016 Magic Light produced two half-hours based on Roald Dahl’s Revolting Rhymes. They were watched by 9.3million viewers and have won numerous awards including a BAFTA for Best Animation.
Magic Light’s film for BBC One, Christmas 2018 is Zog, starring Sir Lenny Henry, Kit Harington, Hugh Skinner, Tracey Ullman and Patsy Ferran.
Follow on Twitter @MagicLightPics
Zog trails can be found at:
- Sherwood Pines, Nottinghamshire
- Fineshade Woods, Northamptonshire
- Salcey Forest, Northamptonshire
- Cannock Chase Forest, Staffordshire
- Hicks Lodge, Leicestershire
- Hamsterley Forest, Durham
- Gisburn Forest, Lancashire
- Whinlatter Forest, Cumbria
- Grizedale Forest, Cumbria
- Kielder Forest, Northumberland
- Haldon Forest Park, Devon
- Cardinham Woods, Cornwall
- Wyre Forest, Worcestershire
- Beechenhurst, Forest of Dean
- Haughmond Hill, Shropshire
- Bedgebury Pinetum, Kent
- Thames Chase, Essex
- High Lodge, Thetford Forest, Norfolk
- Wendover Woods, Buckinghamshire
- Jeskyns Community Woodland, Kent
- Guisborough Forest, Yorkshire
- Dalby Forest, Yorkshire
- Alice Holt, Surrey
- Moors Valley, Dorset
- Media Contact:
T: 0300 067 4107
M: 07771 971813