Growing green programme aimed at KS2, available at Westonbirt Arboretum
Suitable for Years 3-6, March to November
Plant structure and function, plant growth, variation, photosynthesis, adaptation, soil function and nutrients.
- List the resources trees need to survive - carbon dioxide, water, sunlight, nutrients.
- Name the different tree parts - root, trunk, leaf, flower, seed - and describe the function of each.
- Explain that tree, like other plants, make their own food using carbon dioxide, water and sunlight during a process called photosynthesis.
- Suggest how different species are adapted to their environment.
Diversity explore - Similarities and differences between trees with the following year specific focus.
- Year 3 - name the different tree parts and discuss their function.
- Year 4 - identify and name a selection of trees.
- Year 5 - what part of the reproduction process is taking place at the time of the visit?
- Year 6 - exploring the classification of plant groups.
Plant resource game - needs of plants and adaptation.
Soil soup - make a sample of soil and discover more about root networks.
Photosynthesis game - an interactive game, stepping 'inside a leaf', to act out the process of photosynthesis.
Build a tree - students create a giant working tree using themselves, sound effects and actions.