Filming on Forestry England Land FAQs

Updated 23rd February 2021

Can I get photo images of locations from all Forestry England areas?

Our photography of all locations is available to the public on request. Please contact the relevant person for the area you wish to film in.

Are forest locations available to use for filming all year round?

This depends on local forest operations, or on some open areas, where there may be a disturbance to ground nesting birds (between late February and July) under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. Please contact the relevant person for the area you wish to film in.

What are your location fees?

We have guidelines to our fees depending on the type of shoots (movie, TV, drama, children's shows, commercials, promotions etc.) However, local staff are happy to negotiate to find a fee that works for all.

Are your roads suitable for heavy unit vehicles?

All forest blocks are mapped to show lorry roads suitable for heavy vehicles. Most of our forest roads are well surfaced and are suitable for use all year round.

Can production companies build sets, cut, burn or remove trees in special circumstances for a scene?

OurForest Managers are generally flexible and resourceful in most cases and will do all they can to help. However, the only exception would be areas designated as SSSI (Site of Special Scientific Interest) where Natural England would be consulted. 

Can forest staff put me in touch with local contractors for location work?

All of our District Offices have a list of approved contractors who have suitable labour and machinery.

Can we film in the forest at night?

Generally, yes (subject to any likely disturbance to neighbours and notifying local police).

Can we use firearms, firing blank rounds only, in the forest?

Generally, yes (subject to notifying local police).

Can helicopters overfly the forest or land in the forest?

In suitable areas this can be authorised with the usual safety measures that apply.