The Verderers' Hall
About the Hall
Standing at the top of Lyndhurst High Street in the centre of the New Forest, the Verderers’ Hall is the meeting place of the Verderers’ Court, a body originally authorised by the crown to deal with those who offended against Forest Law. In 1388, a building in which the New Forest courts could meet was constructed within or beside Lyndhurst’s old manor house, the building which later became King’s House. The current Verderers’ Hall is believed to occupy the same site as the original.
This is one of only two remaining Verderers’ Courts left in England! Originally part of medieval Forest government, once found all over the country, it was reconstituted under the New Forest Act 1877. Today, it remains an active court and plays an important role in the community, making it the ideal place to tell the New Forest story.
The hall has recently been refurbished, with improvements being made to the quarry tiles, timber features and paintwork, as well as improvements to access and the provision of interpretation.
Find out more about the role of the Verderers of the New Forest.
At a glance
- Home to the Verderers’ Court
- Regular events