Suitable for KS3, March - November
Sustainable development, climate change, citizenship and positive action, photosynthesis.
- Understand that climate change is a natural process but the rate at which it is changing now is faster than normal.
- Understand the rising levels of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, such a s carbon dioxide, contribute to climate change.
- Recognise that through photosynthesis tree remove some of the carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and store carbon in the wood.
- Identify the impacts of different forest management techniques.
- Suggest ways in which people can help both locally and globally.
Introduction - What is climate change? How may climate change affect plant and animal communities and us?
Photosynthesis game - an interactive role play that explores photosynthesis and its role in carbon capture and carbon storage.
Tree product search - finding products made from trees, discussing sustainable forest management and identifying Forestry Stewardship Council® (FSC®), licence code FSC-C123214, and Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC) accredited products.
Forests for the future - how would you plan a forest for the future? Students consider species choice, age structure, sustainable management and biodiversity as they build a model from the natural materials around them.