Enjoy the peaceful wildlife at Cannop Ponds today
The site was originally home to the Severn and Wye Railway, which was constructed to allow exploitation of the mineral resources of the Forest of Dean.
The ponds were created in 1825 and 1829 to supply a waterwheel at Parkend Ironworks. Today, they are used for fishing by the Yorkley Angling Club and the site makes an idyllic spot to view local birdlife. Look out for the Mandarin ducks, reed warblers and a pair of nesting mute swans.
A catering unit operates here during most weekends and school holidays (weather permitting) selling a variety of hot drinks, cakes and burgers.
At a glance
- Walking trails
- Dogs welcome
- Picnic area
- Mobile catering unit