A round-up of Forestry England’s Christmas events
Escape the shops, wrap up warm, pull on your boots and have a day to remember with Forestry England in the nation’s forests!
With magical illuminated trails, Gruffalo hunting and the chance to support your local forest by buying your real Christmas tree, Forestry England offer the perfect location for a Christmassy day out.
Activity highlights include:
Delamere Forest Christmas trail, Cheshire - A brand new after-dark illuminated trail through a festive forest
Experience twinkling lights and seasonal sounds which bring bundles of festive fun to Forestry England’s Delamere Forest. Come along with your friends, family and loved ones to discover sparkling tunnels of light, walk under giant baubles and stroll beneath trees drenched in jewel-like colour. Pause for a moment of reflection in the fire garden and gaze at the flickering flames. Don’t forget to keep your eyes peeled, especially if you have little ones, as you might just glimpse Father Christmas along the way. https://www.forestryengland.uk/christmas-at-delamere
Westonbirt Arboretum’s Enchanted Christmas, Gloucestershire – Help search for the lost reindeer
Set out on an adventure through the illuminated trees of Forestry England’s National arboretum, speak to the trees and tree elves for clues, but watch out for the storm and don’t get lost. If you manage to locate all the Reindeer you may catch a glimpse of Father Christmas himself! https://www.forestryengland.uk/westonbirt/enchanted-christmas
Christmas at Bedgebury, Kent – Over a million twinkling lights
Look forward to some together time with family and friends, as you discover sparkling tunnels of light, dancing lakeside reflections and our trees drenched in jewel-like colour.
For a moment of reflection pause at mesmerising flickering flames in the fire garden, gaze up at larger-than-life illuminations and towering pines rising into the night sky. Don’t forget to glimpse Father Christmas along the way. https://www.forestryengland.uk/Christmasatbedgebury
Gruffalo Spotters trail – An exciting family day out
Follow the Gruffalo Spotters trail and see what creatures you can find!
With the amazing new Gruffalo Spotter 2 app, fun activity pack and trail, you’ll get to interact with all your favourite characters as you go in search of the Gruffalo in the deep dark wood. With 20 trails open across England this Christmas, enjoy the perfect family day out near you. https://www.forestryengland.uk/gruffalo-spotters
Forestry England will also be opening 13 Christmas tree sales centres across the country, offering high-quality real Christmas trees from the heart of the forest. Buying your tree from Forestry England helps to look after the nation’s forests and boosts your wellbeing with a magical day out. All trees are grown in the UK and certified by Grown in Britain, and all Norway spruce trees are certified by both Grown in Britain and the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC).
To find a full list of sales centres in England and their opening times and check out top tree tips on keeping your tree fresh and healthy over the festive holidays visit www.forestryengland.uk/christmas This page also has details of the many Christmas activities and events that are taking place in forests across England.
Notes to editor
Images available here. Please credit Forestry England/Crown copyright
- Forestry England manages and cares for the nation’s 1,500 woods and forests, with over 296 million visits per year. As England’s largest land manager, we shape landscapes and enhance forests for people to enjoy, wildlife to flourish and businesses to grow. We are continuing the work we have already started to make the nation’s forests resilient to climate change and by 2026 we will:
- create at least 6,000 more hectares where we integrate wilding activities in our productive forests.
- increase the diversity of visitors to the nation’s forests and have one million hours of high-quality volunteer time given to the nation’s forests
- plant at least 2,000 hectares of new, high quality, predominantly broadleaf woodlands
- For more information visit forestryengland.uk Forestry England is an agency of the Forestry Commission.
Christmas tree sale centres
- Dalby Forest, North Yorkshire
- Guisborough Forest, North Yorkshire
- Hamsterley Forest, Durham
- Whinlatter Forest, Cumbria
- Rothbury Forest, Northumberland
- Queen Elizabeth Country Park, Hampshire
- New Forest, Hampshire
- Moors Valley Country Park, Dorset
- Westonbirt, the National Arboretum, Gloucestershire
- Cardinham Woods, Cornwall
- Haldon Forest, Devon
- Alice Holt, Surrey
- Cannock Chase, Staffordshire
Rebecca Ulewicz, Media Relations Officer
e: email@example.com t: 0300 067 4107